Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
Home Instructions Before Oral Surgery
Follow these tips to reduce pain and complications before, during, and after your procedure:
- You may not have anything to eat (including gum, mints or candy) or drink (including water) for six to eight hours prior to the appointment.
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves that can be rolled up past the elbow, low-heeled shoes, and no flip flops.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with your Summit surgeon prior to your surgical date for instructions.